10 May 2013

Chippy

Last week, this happened.

At first, I was afraid my entire tooth had fallen off. But evidently not. Still, it's a pretty strange feeling to have the part of your front tooth that's usually sticking out missing in action.

The enamel edge of a broken tooth is sharp as a knife. This is not good when the tooth in question sticks out at an angle. Fine when you keep your lips absolutely still. Very bad when you need to eat, since it starts scraping the inside of your upper lip.

So, how did it happen? How did I fall with enough force to hit and break the one tooth that sticks out and suffer no injury whatsoever elsewhere? Hmm. I slipped on a really small and sloping foothold. I was forced to go to work looking like I got into some gang fight - but since I never talk much, I wonder if anyone noticed.

Mother alleged that it would cost hundreds of dollars - but as it turns out, it was just a filling, not a crown. They even shone UV light on it to make it turn into a yellow colour that matches the actual tooth. Pretty good for a hundred bucks.

Next two days, I was back at the walls, showing it off to my belay buddy. 'So natural!' 'Impressive!'

On another note, that was my third climb in a week. I seem to be storing up climbs for the foreseeable future when I will once again be hard pressed to find someone to comfortably climb with. It still annoys me highly no matter how many times this happens.

NB. I totally neglected to mention that the toothy episode is prob'ly karma for me making fun of ahS when his chipped tooth recently regained its original form. What goes around comes around? It appeals to the vengeful part of me!