12 February 2014

More People (Sitting Behind Me)

I've been a captive audience to some odd conversations lately. Apparently there are no limits to what can be said when you're sitting inside a public bus.

So the other day the bus to work was a little crowded, but I managed to squeeze into a seat somewhere towards the back. In front of what sounded like a pair of tertiary students. A girl and a guy, accents from China, seemingly friends.

So the guy says, I think my self control has improved.

And the girl asks, How long?

And he says, Do you know what I'm talking about?

She says, What do you mean?

Well, recently I was going to do it with this girl, he explains. So I got her clothes off and then I decided not to do it, because I thought it would be a betrayal to my girlfriend.

So how did the girl react? she asks.

She wasn't too happy, he says. “他妈的,把我弄成这样然后说不上了!” But I didn't want to anymore. It's clear that she's willing to go all the way, so I've already got her in a sense. Doing it or not doesn't matter.

After that the conversation turned to their respective significant others, boring compared to what just transpired. Then I fell asleep.

On another occasion, I was on the bus home when another pair of secondary or tertiary students, both Chinese male, boarded the bus and made themselves comfortable in the seat behind me.

They were apparently sharing stories about murder out of their hometowns (somewhere in Malaysia).

Boy #1's story was about how a girl, a school mate and friend's girlfriend, was murdered by a politician's son after she rebuffed him.

All the townsfolk went on a manhunt after it happened, particularly the "black" elements of the community, forming their own road blocks and so forth. But the boy eventually appeared in police custody and even went on trial.

However, due to his status as a minor, the suspect was freed soon after.

As expected, the townsfolk were angry. But the shrewd politician sent his son overseas (Australia, it seems), pronto. We're talking immediately after being released.

Boy #2's story was a little different.

A girl in his school went missing. A rich man's son was the main suspect.

Problem is, they never found her body until years later, buried in some forest.

I have forgotten the rest of it, but I'm guessing the killer was long gone by then.