01 February 2013

I've been cast as an extra in a "Friends" drama

The last few months, I have been busy hanging out with a bunch of new people who climb. (Lame excuse for the lack of new ramblings here, I know.)

They are a bit of a motley crew.

The second time we met, one of the guys appeared to be asking me out even though he had a (long-distance) girlfriend. That got him a telling-off.

Another guy, married with kids, told me he has "girlfriends" without his wife's knowledge. I am not sure why we were even having such a conversation. Someone suggested that the information was revealed as a way of hitting on me. If that was so, it totally failed.

Then there's the girl who was my initial point of contact with the group.

When we first met, she talked constantly about her ex. They were apparently set to be married last year, but it didn't happen 'cause the guy dumped her. We got on like a house on fire as she doesn't work and I work odd hours, and so had tons of time to spend online.

These days, it gets harder to say anything without stepping on some kind of landmine. She hardly mentions the ex anymore, but instead complains constantly about another girl in the group. Frenemies, they seem to be. Not that they would ever admit it. If you unwisely point out any similarities between them, well, good luck. You'll also need it if you catch her in a bad mood, where she'll lash out at you and later call it a "misunderstanding".

So, despite the deplorable moral standard of the guys, I now prefer hanging out with them than be poisoned by the toxic girls.

On another note - apparently, the year of the snake is going to be bad for me. Maybe I am going to meet a mongoose!